Backcross breeding method has certain advantages and applications. Some of them are listed below.
Advantages of Back Cross Method
Merits of back cross method are given here.
- Gives predicted results. Extensive tests are not necessary as recurrent parent is usually a well established variety
- We can obtain same results again and again
- While eliminating defects of well established variety there is no much change in its adaptability, performance and genotypic background
- Only method for interspecific gene transfer.
- Independent of environment
- This method offers considerable control over the genetic variation in the segregating population under consideration
- Little record keeping
- Requires small populations
- Backcrossing is applicable for both –